TPP is the Trans-Pacific Partnership. It is a disastrous 6000 page trade deal that is currently being negotiated in the U.S. government. It will allow an International Tribunal elected by corporations to decide over all matters related to corporate profit. If a corporation is not getting the money they want out of a scheme, a government can be stopped from ruling on the matter. For example, if a government wants to outlaw fracking, the TPP will make that illegal because it prevents corporations from pursuing profit. It will greatly reduce the authority of countries to protect their people and land and will allow corporations to get whatever they want in the name of profit. Whereas NAFTA gave this power already to 100 corporations in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada, TPP will give this power to thousands of new corporations covering 40% of the globe. Recently we've seen in the news that Trans-Canada has sued the United States in excess of 12 billion dollars because of loss of profits from the closed Keystone XL pipeline. Well TPP would give this same power to thousands of additional corporations.
It is clear that the TPP is a failure of a trade policy, is bad for the American people, and must be rejected. The benefit of this policy appears to be only for a handful of corporate shareholders. For a vast majority of the people, animals, and plants on the planet, this is a disaster. Here is why:
• Fact Checker shows that the TPP generates zero new jobs.
• Does not improve worker safety or job security provisions.
• Drives down the cost of labor. When the whole market is increasing the cost of living, the wages will be decreasing. This makes for a bad economy and increased chance of civil unrest and violence.
• Makes it more difficult for working families to survive. This is a cold-blooded policy that does not help the American people.
• Lowers risk premiums on offshoring jobs, which means that even more jobs will be going offshore.
• CEPR estimates minimal impact on GDP from the TPP of 0.013%. This is clearly not beneficial.
• Prevents incentives for buying local. Buying local is important because it improves the American economy, reduces transportation costs and effects on the environment, and increases percentage of useable product.
• Allows the ISDS and an increased number of corporations legal power and jurisdiction over local and federal governments and will greatly reduce the ability of our country to protect ourselves, our natural resources, our health, and the planet in general from harm from corporations that are using the natural resources in an irresponsible way that contributes to the destruction of the planet, our people, and our future.
• A Public Citizen report shows that the TPP would increase the trade deficit still further.
• Increases cost for health care world-wide which is detrimental to a majority of the people. Will result in many more deaths and illnesses. This is done by increasing patent protection on medications and surgeries for extremely long periods of time. Countries trying to save lives of people with generic medications will be punished and prevented under TPP.
• Strips away environmental protections and leaves the Earth helpless to the whims of corporations.
• Financial deregulation will result in greater financial crises.
If you are still unsure about the TPP, please read this document.
People in the U.S. fighting the TPP: flushthetpp.org
Please call your Federal Representatives, especially in the House, in Illinois at 1-202-224-3131 or US-wide call 1-202-225-3121 and tell them to say "NO" to the TPP. You can also go to this Facebook page which describes an action for every Tuesday. We must continue the calls throughout 2016 to prevent this horrible deal from being passed during the Lame Duck session.
Breaking: Obama claims he will now not bring this deal up for vote, probably because he never gained enough support for it and there was enough opposition to it from us people, but we don't know for sure if he is telling the truth. We must also be vigilant that other disasterous trade deals along similar lines are not started.
This page last updated on 11/23/16